Pregnancy Countdown

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Three? Really?


April 19th~ 7 1/2 weeks- I had my first ultrasound today. I had no idea of the shocking news that was to come. I didn't ask Dan to come because we didn't think much of it as it was early on. I knew of the reality of a miscarriage so that's what I was thinking most about, especially as the ultrasound tech was pretty quiet as the pictures first came up. Then very simply, the technician said "It's still hard to know for sure, but it looks like there are 3 heartbeats." I sat up and responded with a very nervous, "What? Are you sure?" Then followed were many tears as my mind was racing- thinking this had to be a dream- this couldn't be happening to me! (I will openly admit that I was not at all excited about the idea of triplets at this point...instead I was scared, nervous, uncertain, of how we would ever be able to care for 3 babies all at once! I waited with my many thoughts as the tech continued to get images, measurements, etc... Finding out that I was pregnant was shocking enough, but TRIPLETS was whole other surreal experience.

As soon as I got in the car, I called Dan- told him to sit, assured him that I didn't have a miscarriage- then proceeded to tell him the craziest news that we had ever experienced. Of course, I was definitely wishing he was there with me. Dan's first question as the same as mine-
"Are you sure?" He was pretty quiet at first as he was taking in the news, but remained pretty calm after that- trying to be supportive for me. I knew it hadn't really hit him like it had for me, but nonetheless, I'm always thankful for the way he can encourage and calm my anxious spirit.

I had already made lunch plans with my friend Kristin- I hadn't had the chance to share the news of my pregnancy with her, so I had lots of news to unload on her. I was still pretty emotional from the news, so it was nice to be in company with such a good friend- and her newborn girl- Sophia.

Another blessing was that my mom was coming to visit on her way back down to Indiana. She got there soon after I got home, so Dan and I were able to share the news with her. She gave me a big hug, then stood still for a bit as she was taking it all in. 3 more instant grandchildren! I was already crying again- like I said I was an emotional basket- case. My mom went ahead and called the rest of the family to share the news x3- on our behalf. This was just the beginning of the variety of responses- "Triplets- really?" "Wow", etc... (Maybe I'll have a blog post with just that).

This was hands- down the most surreal day of my life- up to this point, but looking back I can see how God was displaying His love, care, and providing just what I needed for that day. Examples: already scheduled day off, my mom's visit- on a day when I needed it the most, and the prayer, encouragement, and support I received family and friends. Even at that point, I would have know idea of just the many, numerous ways God would provide for us!

3 comments:

  1. Super excited for the 2 of you!!! You are right on how God provided for you on that specific day. A reminder that HE truly does love us in every detail. Will continue to pray for you guys from afar. If you have any prego questions or even advice from a mom who had multiples, my mom. I know she would love to chat with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very excited to keep reading your blog, sis! Isaiah 40:11 was very dear to me with Aiden, and I was just thinking what a great comfort it would be to you during this time.... "He (God) tends his flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young (you)." God is holding your little ones even now, before you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Holly and Dan! I've added your blog to my list! We'll be praying for you and your little ones...all three :) So exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete