Pregnancy Countdown

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Saturday, June 5, 2010

a few words from Shauna Niequist...

I've been randomly reading short stories from Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist (thanks to my friend Melissa for letting me borrow it!). I would highly recommend this book- the stories are simple but bring a smile to my face as it reminds me to celebrate both the big and little things. I'll probably share random thoughts from this book periodically in my blog- especially since I'm not much of a writer myself...

"It makes sense to me in a new way that God chose to wrap His divinity in baby bones and baby skin. I always thought maybe it was to demonstrate vulnerability, or to identify fully with each phase of humanity, but now I think it was something else. I think it was because babies make us believe in the possibility and power of the future."

"Nothing good comes easily. You have to lose things you though you loved, give up things you thought you needed. You have to get over yourself, beyond our past, out from under the weight of your future. The good stuff never comes when things are easy. It comes when things are all heavily weighted down like moving trucks. It comes just when you think it never will...a blessing that rose up out of a bone-dry, dusty curse."

Now I'm not saying I think having triplets is a curse by any means, even though I may have expressed to God that I felt it was. I'm thankful that everyday, I feel a bit more at peace about our very unique situation. But most of the time, to be honest, I feel the huge burden and uncertainty of caring for 3 babies at once! I've already played all sorts of mind games- wishing I could change what's to come by just having 1 baby like most mothers in the world. But I've learned I have to stop having a pity- party, get over myself (like Shauna says) and trust God with the future. I'm blessed to have enough support around me, some from other moms, who remind me of the JOY that motherhood brings. Does this mean I have triple JOY, or will I be too consumed with coordinating feedings, diaper changes, and naps to even celebrate the moments??? I'm praying now for all these questions, fears, concerns- but I'm confident in this truth- God will not give me more than we can handle and He doesn't expect us to do it on our own! I know I'm entering a season of complete dependency of my Savior- I'm thinking this is a good place to be.

1 comment: